Public Awareness Notice
Village of Palmetto Gas System
PUBLIC AWARENESS NOTICE
The Village of Palmetto owns and operates a natural gas distribution system in and around the Village imcluding Morrow, Big Cane, Goudeau, Lebeau and LeMoyen. The gas system consists of an underfround network of pipelines throughout the area. The purpose of the gas system is to provide a reliable and safe economical source of energy for heating purposes to the homes and business adjacent to the customers.
The hazards of natural gas are it is orderless, colorless, tasteless, and lighter than air and can ignite and/or explode with tremendous force when mixed with the right amount of air.
Prevention measures include:
- Adding odorant to the gas to give it that distinctive smell, simialr to rotten eggs, to warn us of its presence
- Testing the odorant level each calendar
- Performing annual gas leakage surveys, and
- Conducting periodic pipeline patrols.
The following are signs that may indicate a gas leak:
- A hissing or roaring sound (caused by escaping gas),
- A patch of dead or discolored vegetation in anotherwise green setting along a pipeline route,
- Blowing dirt, grass or leave live near a pipeline,
- Continous bubbling in wet, flooded areas,
- A "gas smell", similar to rotten eggs.
Anyone who may smell this odor or notice any unusual conditions on or near gas mains, vents service lines, meter sets, or especially inside of the building should call the Village immediately. If you smell a strong gas odor inside a building, notify everyone in the building to leave. Do not operate any switches or use the phone. Go a safe distance away upwind of the gas smell and call the Village of Palmetto. With any gas leak protect life first, then properly, and then notify the Village of Palmetto.
Pipeline markers are maintained to inform the public of the gas line location. State and federal laws require excavators to notify LA One-Call two (2) full working days before digging. if any excavation is planned you must notify LA One-Call which will notify the Village to locate the gas lines. The Village of Palmetto maintains membership in the LA One-Call program.
To obtain additional information or report gas related issues call the Village of Palmetto. The Village of Palmetto phone numbers are 337-623-4426 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mon.-Thurs. and 337-945-2680 after hours and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The LA One-Call Center phone number is 811. This information and the pipeline signs are provided as public awareness and damage prevention awareness notices.